Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Happiness So Fleet

The thought of seeing her again
brought a smile to my morning
daydreams like endorphins
coursing through my brain
I eagerly anticipated
seeing her once again

I stopped in to see if she was there
and was gratified to find
my fervent wishes granted
I proposed to rendesvous later
a tete a tete more relished
than the repast upon which I would dine

Impatiently I conducted errands
that were meant mostly
to kill the time betwixt
there was nothing I wanted more
than to be with her once again
if only to see her face and hear her voice

I finally came back to her premises
the restaurant where she toils
and as I approached
I was alerted by the vibrations
of a hipborne pager
replete with portent

I dialed the number
no recognition on my part
only to laugh with the realization
that the call emanated
from the very establishment
that was my destination

"I have to leave," she blurted out
"we can't meet today."
she couldn't know
that dismay was my response
I covered my confusion
while concluding the call

I entered to be greeted by her twin
a likeness stunning in her own beauty
unerringly identifiable
as genetically related
it was indeed her sibling and she beckoned
her sister to draw near

She came then to my side
a question in her glance
hesitancy evident in her halting manner
with concern she scanned the room
whispering, hurriedly
"I can't let him see me talking to you."

"Are you off tomorrow?" she asked
implying that she could see me then
I was heartened by her remark
taking some small solace from it
but my reply
was regrettably negative

"I need to know," I parried,
"is my behavior intrusive or disturbing?"
Her eyes fastened upon mine, unfaltering
"You're not bothering me,
I've just been busy," she answered
"There's a lot going on that I'll tell you about someday"

"I just needed to know
how to interpret your silence" I stated
in search of a reassuring reply
"Don't take my silence the wrong way,"
she murmured, mimicking the gesture
"I'll call," as I departed that day

Of such moments are my happiness made
brief encounters that for now must suffice
to satisy the desire that burns within
I only want to know her, to discover if
she really is as incredible as my reveries
and if so, to learn... can we find love as friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment