Monday, November 9, 2009

Compass

As a youth I wandered aimless
With a lack of direction in my life
But callow and naive I was blameless
Like a student just learning to drive

I had no map of my future
I hadn't charted my course as of yet
I was unaware of the route there
For at that point we hadn't met

I could climb in behind the wheel
But I didn't know which way to steer
And Triple A couldn't reveal
If I should roam to points distant or near

I knew how to signal my intentions
I learned how to step on the gas
But with so much traffic on Life's highway
I didn't know which cars to pass

There were so many worthwhile features
On each of the models I'd see
A student with too many teachers
All these subjects confusing to me

For awhile I lived in the fast lane
Till I finally decelerated
I left behind the field I was playing
For I had found the game overrated

For years now I've driven within borders
Till all that was left was no rights
And I fell completely cornered
Till the turn that was "U" came in sight

Some seek advice where to travel
Exotic decisions oft complex
But that mystery at last has unraveled
For me Midland, Texas comes next

No comments:

Post a Comment